Aegina is the second largest island of the Saronic Gulf, following Salamina,
and has an extent of 85 square kilometers. It is 16 naval miles far from
Piraeus. The length of its coasts is 57 kilometers. It has an extent pf
approximately 83 square kilometers and a population of about 17.000
The biggest part of the island is the result of volcanic activity. This can
be observed at the central and southern part of the island, which is
constituted of stony lava.
Aegina is comprised of low hills, most of which are covered by pine trees.
The highest spot of the island is Ellanio Mountain, with 532 meters
altitude, which doesn’t have much vegetation, besides some bushes and low
In the Southern and Eastern part, Oros Mountain forms steep rocky coasts,
leaving just a few small bays except from the large bay of Santa Marina. The
rest of the coasts are smooth, with smaller or bigger bays.
In the western and northwestern part, there are flat, inhabited areas of
Aegina, with the large bay of Marathonas and the port of the city of Aegina.
In this area, most of the pistachios and grapes are being produced. There
are also olive trees, fig trees and almond trees.
In the Northern part, there is the narrow valley of Mesagros, which
separates the mountain from the small tumps that stretch along the north
The island’s vegetation is comprised by hollies, wild olive trees, cypresses
and firewood. The island’s fauna is comprised by hares, foxes, badgers and a
variety of birds. The island’s climate is dry and healthy, mild during
winter and cool during summer.
In the North part of the island, the Temple of Athena Afaia is built
surrounded by a piney landscape viewing the endless blue sea. It is
preserved in a very good condition. 24 out of a total of 34 columns are
preserved. The temple was built in 480 B.C after the naval battle of
Kolona (=column) is the archaeological site, whose archaeological findings
define the history of Aegina. It located on the left side of the port of
Aegina and it represented the Acropolis of Aegina during Antiquity. It
represented the religious and political point. Its name was given due to the
one and only Column existing there until now.
At the top of the hill of Kolona, there was the temple of Apollo. It was
built around the 6th century B.C. The temple was of rectangular shape
comprised by 11 pillars on the long side and 6 pillars on the short.
Southern to the temple, Propylaia was found, along with 2 other smaller
Ellanio Mountain is the highest mountain of Aegina. It has
532 meters altitude and at the top the small church of the Ascension is
Aegina’s Archaeological Museum
contains ancient remains and relics. It was founded in 1832 by Ioannis
Kapodistrias. In the museum, there are various vessels, pottery, ceramics,
alabaster, links, statues, signs, coins, guns and coppery vessels.
Markellos’ Tower was built around 1800 by Spyros Markellos,
a representative in the Greek Parliament. In Markellos’ Tower the first
government was housed from 1816 until 1828 and for a short time period the
fund of the Hellenic state was found there.
Aegina’s Metropolis is a three-part temple, with three red
domes; the middle part is dedicated to the fest of the Assumption.
The Government House is located close to the Metropolis, in
the center of the city. It is a very important to the modern greed history
building. It is about a building that housed Greece’s First Government. It
was Ioannis Kapodistria’s the habitat.
In the Southeastern part of the city, the Orphanage is located, which was
built by Ioannis Kapodistrias on a site donated by the Elders of the Island.
Hellenic Wildlife Hospital. Here you can visit the area,
where various species of wild animals, mostly birds, are treated, wounded by
humans; and you can be guided around by young volunteers coming to work here
and offer their knowledge not only from Greece but from abroad as well.